Stefon Diggs plead not guilty to assault allegation on Friday

Written by: Miles Jordan

Share on:

Player Updates

New England Patriots

New England Patriots wide receiver Stefon Diggs pleaded not guilty Friday to felony strangulation and related charges stemming from an alleged December dispute with his personal chef.

Diggs appeared in Dedham District Court in Massachusetts for his arraignment, which had been postponed until after Super Bowl LX to allow him to participate in the game. He is scheduled to return for a pretrial hearing on April 1.

According to court documents, the woman told police that she and Diggs argued on Dec. 2 at his home over money she claimed she was owed for her services. She alleged that during the confrontation, Diggs “smacked her across the face” and then attempted to choke her by placing the crook of his elbow around her neck, causing her to feel short of breath.

Investigators say the woman reported the incident to police on Dec. 16, about two weeks after it allegedly occurred. Court records indicate she was initially hesitant to pursue charges but later decided to move forward.

Diggs’ attorney has said the receiver “categorically denies these allegations,” describing them as unsubstantiated and rooted in a financial disagreement. The Patriots have released a statement expressing their support for Diggs.

Friday’s proceeding marked Diggs’ first court appearance in the case. The judge was expected to address bail conditions and set future court dates as the matter moves forward.